Building Type: Condo – 6 units
Year Built: 1900
Sq. Ft.: 1,200
Location: Lower Haight/Duboce Triangle, San Francisco, CA
The floor plan of this beautiful Victorian flat remained largely unchanged since 1890 – making modern living a challenge. The client sought to resolve a number of issues:
- The living room and kitchen were separate rooms with no connection, and the kitchen was very inefficiently designed.
- Originally built as an open-air porch the laundry room was in dire need of several safety and efficiency upgrades.
- Sound transfer from the adjacent lightwell buildings was much to bear.
With support from our engineering team, the floor plan of the main living space was opened to not only connect the kitchen and the living room but also add a dedicated dining area.
Floor Plan Modernization:
- Open the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and the living room, and the kitchen and the hallway.
- Redesign and remodel the kitchen with state-of-the-art appliances.
- Redesign, rebuild and integrate the laundry room as an extension of the kitchen.
- Custom build and install historically accurate sound reducing windows.
Upgraded all utilities:
- The electrical panel was relocated to the interior of the flat, from the ground floor (3 floors down) and upgraded to support today’s demanding electrical requirements, as well as a centralized audio/visual system. The plumbing system went under a considerable upgrade to support the new kitchen and new laundry room.
Replicated and Restored Historical details:
- Most of the historical hardware had been removed and replaced over the years. Team Centoni re-fit and installed new hinges, doorknobs/plates and restored the original mortise locks, which now operate with modern skeleton keys